Goooood morning, my loves!
Today I'm sharing my absolute FAVORITE (or should I say "favourite" now that I'm living in Canada?) protein smoothie.
One question I get asked by clients a lot is, "Do I NEED to have a protein shake immediately post-workout to get results?"
Making protein shakes is definitely not necessary to reach your goals. I used to think I HAD to have a protein shake after every workout in order to see results, but you can just as easily get all the protein you need from eating REAL food. (Plus, let's be real, mixing a scoop of protein with water is just straight up gross.)
That being said, I do luuuurve me some protein smoothies!
This one is rich, creamy, cold and delicious. Sometimes I'll have it immediately post workout when I want something cool and refreshing, or right before bed when I want ice cream but *sadly* don't have any and have to improvise. ;)
My Favorite Protein Smoothie
1 cup of ice
1 cup of frozen blueberries or strawberries
1 big handful of spinach
1-2 cups of unsweetened almond milk (less makes it creamier, which I like)
1 heaping scoop of Protein Powder *see next section
2 tbsp of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) or 1 tbsp. real peanut/almond butter
2 tbsp chia seeds *optional
2 tbsp hemp seeds *optional
1/2-1 whole banana, based on preference
- Add all dry ingredients in blender.
- Add in ice and frozen ingredients.
- Add almond milk almost to the point where it covers the ingredients (I always start with less than necessary - you can always add more, but adding too much too soon may cause it to turn out watery.)
- Pour into a large glass or a bowl* and enjoy!
*If I'm making a smoothie BOWL, I tend to like it a bit thicker. Therefore, I'll use regular almond butter instead of PB2, I'll add a bit more ice and little less liquid. Play around with it until you find a texture you like best! Then, top it with a rice cake, nuts, chopped strawbs or bluebs, sliced bananas, whatever your heart desires!
Best-Tasting Non-Dairy Protein Powders
I'm a bit sensitive to lactose, especially when it comes to normal protein powders like whey. Therefore, I HAVE to have vegan protein that's free of any kind of dairy. Here are a few of my favorite vegan protein powders that won't upset your tummy and don't taste like chalk, haha:
- Garden of Life, Raw Organic Protein Powder (Chocolate) *What I currently use.
- Bone Broth Protein (Chocolate) *MY ABSOLUTE FAV out of any protein I've had, even including whey. Bone broth is also amazing for gut health. I get that bone broth isn't 100% "vegan", but this brand is free from all the stuff that will potentially hurt your belly.
- SunWarrior is OK, but a bit on the chalky side.
There ya have it, folks!
I hope you enjoy this refreshing vegan smoothie today after you've worked your buns off in the gym, or any time of the day when you just want a sweet little treat.
Sending you all my love,
Let's Chat! Do you have a favorite smoothie recipe? Share it below in the comment section!